Thursday, December 13, 2012

Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies


Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies

NOVEMBER 11, 2011
by 
Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies Recipe | JustOneCookbook.com When I saw my foodie friend Anh’s Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies post on her blog A Food Lover’s Journey last month, I knew I needed to make it.  I love both traditional and modern Japanese sweets that contain sweet red bean paste or/and matcha (green tea).
I was not only excited to eat these cookies, but I was also looking forward to taking pictures of cookies for the first time.  I have seen how all the food bloggers take pictures of cookies – most common one is usually by tying them with ribbon!  Despite my excitement, I did not have the right type of ribbon so I ended up using cooking twine…  I actually struggled a lot with my very first cookie photos because it was such a hard object to make it interesting.  But the cookies were wonderful.  I know I’ll make these again and again!
As for the recipe, I pretty much followed Anh’s recipe because I don’t see anywhere I need to change or want to change.  The amount of white chocolate I used was a guesstimate.  For those of you who want to try this recipe, I hope you can find 100% pure matcha powder in your local Asian grocery store.  The good quality ones should have very beautiful green color, not dull green.  Here’s the Maeda-En Brand I use for my Green Tea Ice Cream and this recipe and it’s around $6 for 1 oz (28.5g).  It’s a bit pricey but matcha is expensive in Japan as well.
I leave you with these delicious cookies as I have packing to do for a little get-away with my family.   Happy Veteran’s Day and have a great weekend!
*For Vegan Green Tea Cookies, please click here.  Roxana of A Little Bit of Everythingmade these delicious Green Tea Cookies on my blog.
Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies II

Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 36 cookies
Ingredients:
  • 240g all purpose flour
  • 15g 100% natural green tea powder (matcha powder)
  • 150g unsalted butter, softened
  • 130g powder sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • As per readers' requests, here is the measurement in cups. However, I highly recommend using a scale to get a perfect result.
  • 2 1/8 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp. matcha powder
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. powder sugar.
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Instructions:
  1. Sift the flour and the matcha powder.
  2. Cream together the butter, sugar, and salt until soft and light.
  3. Add the egg yolks and beat well.
  4. Gradually add the flour/matcha powder mixture.
  5. Fold in the white chocolate chips.
  6. Shape the dough into 2 round logs and wrap them in plastic wrap. Rest in the refrigerator overnight.
  7. Preheat oven to 300F (150C) degrees. Remove the dough from plastic wrap and cut the cookie slices to 7mm (1/4 inch) thick. If you put too many chocolate chips, this step can be a little tricky as you see in the photo.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes then cool on a rack.
Source: A Food Lover’s Journey, originally from Okashi Treats by Keiko Ishida
Enjoy!
Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies III

0 comments:

Post a Comment